Friday, September 19, 2008

Language Investigation #3

For Language investigation #3, we were asked to write about a community we all shared, that being the community of classrooms. In particular, looking at high school, middle school, and elementary. Being part of this community for the past seventeen years, I've encountered more then enough example to look back on that pertain to the kinds of reading and writing assignments, many of which reflected the rules and regulations which inform my use of language.

One class i remember in particular, the teacher was trying to begin a discussion on The Lord of the Flies, but the kids weren't having it. Socratic seminar does not sound cool at sixteen. I would have raised my hand and shown her some sympathy, except i had neglected to read the prior evening. Hard as this poor women tried to spark any intensity in her student, the slanted baseball hats and hidden ipod speakers we no match. Made me wonder what i would of done in that situation. I think i would have most likely brought candy in as a bribe, Popsicles in the hotter seasons.

Teachers don't have to be all old and angry, and they can actually have funny jokes! Teachers have taught their subjects using the same methods and approaches since the subject was established. I think these ways could stand some correction or at least updating. My beliefs about the importance of reading and writing are quite strong. If an individual is illiterate or has a comprehension problem, all that is needed for them to enjoy and understand literacy, is a good teacher who understands there learning style and is willing to take the time and help. The skills of literacy are unbelievably important to our daily lives. I love to see new teaching approaches as well. Along with this, the actual comprehension aspect of literacy must accompany the ability to read. Without comprehension one can read, but would lack the capacity to understand. This is rarely taken into consideration in the classrooms I've encountered.

My first real experience with a teacher was in my third grade math class with Mrs. Grimes. I had done poorly on her first exam and she had decided to write a letter to my parents and inform them that she believed, “Your daughter is incapable to retain the information we are learning in class, and I fear she will be unable to keep up with the other students.” When my parents received the letter they were quite angry with the teacher, but did nothing. I worked diligently on my homework each night, and made sure I knew the content well on each test, finishing the third grade math class with a solid A. The teacher was taken aback, and i got to learn a really important thing: Teachers aren't always right.

As a sophomore, I enrolled in a beginning creative writing class. My teacher came in the first day, looked everyone in the eye, and talked to the class as adults. This decision was great and she maintained the respect of the class through out the rest of the semester. On top of this, she actually got me and the other students excited about writing, whether it was short stories, poems, or even our final of a fifteen page short story of our own. I remember working on that story for months and being so proud when I received my A at the end of the semester. This teacher showed me that there are educators who can make a positive effect on my schooling.

Throughout my elementary and middle school years, reading and writing was hard for me. When I finally reached high school, I was diagnosed with learning disabilities and dyslexia. I worked everyday with flash cards and easy-reading books to improve my proficiency in literacy. Once learning of this diagnosis and reevaluating how to learn these skills, I became entranced with the wonders of reading and writing. I started reading novels, writing short stories, and working on poetry. To this day I am constantly scribbling in journals, napkins, or whatever I may get my hands on. Even though it came to me late in life, being able to read and write well changed my entire outlook on school and life in general. Now literacy is one of the biggest aspects of my life, working to become a high school English teacher as well as an author. Without the ability to read and write, I would probably not know what I wanted to do in my life.

3 comments:

Cindy O-A said...

Whit, I thought it was really interesting to hear you talk about how you moved from "outsider" to "insider" in school, not only in English, but also in math. It seems like caring teachers and hard work made the difference. Was there anything else? How do you plan to draw on your own school experiences to influence what you'll do in your own classroom as an English teacher?

Kayla Swanton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kayla Swanton said...

I can totally relate to being deemed "incapable" by your math teacher. It's hard to feel motivated to do well in their class when they dog you like that. I think it's great that you were able to prove her wrong though, and that you have dedicated yourself to becoming a teacher. I'm sure that your students will really appriciate the fact that you were never a perfect student and that you will be able to draw sympathy for your students who are struggling. I think it might be a good topic to talk about how you went from being tracted as just a student with learning disabilities to a student who overcame those disabilities to reach her full potential. That shift would be intersting to look at from this hindsight angel. Good job!